Thursday, May 6, 2010

From Formspring: Do you ever worry about coming off as too preachy in your writing? (note: not an insult)

Do you mean in my blogs or my books? If you mean my blogs, then yes: I am occasionally concerned that I might alienate readers--and potential buyers--when I take a stand on something. However, I learned a long time ago that no matter how hard you try, people are going to read whatever message into what you've said that the want to find. So, you're better off just saying what you want to say. I can tell someone I respect their intelligence even though I don't agree with their position, and if they want to think I'm being condescending or preachy that's what they are going to think anyway.

As for my books, I try very hard not to put any kind of political or social message into them. This isn't that difficult with the Dragon's Blood Chronicles, but I sometimes find it harder to do with Max's books. Max has a certain outlook on the world that is colored by his experiences from doing social work in Southwest Missouri. In either case, I'm not writing books to make a political or social point, I'm just trying to tell a story. I am guessing people might take one away from it, but the world in my books is only superficially like the real one. My books have dragons living in mansions in the woods and vampire meth-dealers. It's fantasy, not what I think the world is really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Praise Tiamat