Thursday, September 15, 2011

From a Dark, Quiet Place...

Migraine is back. I'm wearing dark glasses in a pitch black room as I type this to cut down on the auras that came with today's migraine. I've also got the earplugs in...the same ones I use when I go target shooting to protect my ears. I'll be blunt: my migraines are getting out of hand. I know there are people in the world in worse pain than me. And I'd rather I have to bear this than see someone I love deal with it. But it doesn't make it much easier.

Many of you have expressed concern and well wishes, and I appreciate this. I'm a stubborn man, and one who doesn't like to admit weakness. But my wife and friends have been urging me to see a doctor about them for a while, and to actually tell her how bad they've been getting. And I'm taking their advice...finally. In fact, I had a doctor's appointment today about this very thing...which I unfortunately had to cancel because of a migraine. This was poor planning on my part: I should have made arrangements for someone to give me a ride in this apparently likely contingency. I will not make that mistake again. If anyone wants to volunteer, I will probably have my new appointment next week. Let me know if you want to be on the list and I'll try to coordinate a time with you.

Here is a nice, beautiful song by my friend Thomas Gabriel Fischer of Triptykon (formerly Celtic Frost) off the album Eparistera Daimones. It kind of captures what it feels like to go to sleep with one of these things. I know it isn't what Tom actually meant the song to be about, but I think he would appreciate my interpretation. The video is fan made, featuring some really beautiful forest scenes.




3 comments:

  1. Sorry about your migraine. Let me know if I can help with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, I hope you get relief very, very soon. I have dealt with doctors a lot & I understand wanting to avoid hospital type setting when you can. Here's hoping they can offer real help and not increase confusion. You've got a lot to do and it shouldn't have to be such a struggle.

    Stay strong, man - I've been following you and your work for more than 2 years now & I'm pulling for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been almost a month since you posted this. What has happened since?

    I get migraines, too, but have cut down on them a lot by eliminating trigger foods (for me, unfortunately, that means anything with caffeine and chocolate....grrrr...), drinking a ton of water, and noting when they're incipient. However, everyone is different, not trying to lecture about what YOU should do equating what I did. I really hope you've gotten some help and have had some relief. Migraines suck. Take care of yourself, don't feel ashamed of admitting pain and seeking help, because that's the mature thing to do. You must safeguard that mind, friend. No one can read your shit if you're in so much pain you can't write, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Praise Tiamat