Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Say Something Mean Really Loudly: The Agenda of "The Write Agenda"



Any of my writer friends and followers, if you haven't had a chance, check out Writer Beware™ Blogs!: The Agenda of "The Write Agenda"

There are a lot of decisions writers have to make. At the end of it, we're basically on our own. Sure, we have writers groups, beta readers, fans and editors...but what we do, our actual work, writing, we do it alone. And so we develop a sense of self-sufficiency and, dare I say it, stubbornness. I know this is true for me. But it's important to remember that just because we're capable of writing a book, story or poem doesn't mean we're smart enough to notice when we're being taken advantage of. Please trust me when I tell you that this is something I know a LOT about.

Just be careful. Do your homework.

Writer Beware is a blog by publishing professionals dedicated to protecting writers from unscrupulous people who would take advantage of your dreams for a buck. And believe me, there are a LOT of them out there. Note that this is just a resource. They don't expect you to take their word as gospel, Writer Beware is just providing you with information so you can make a decision.

The Write Agenda purports to be the same thing, but actually has one goal and one goal only: attacking Writer Beware and the people who support it. They claim they are supported largely by writers who have paid to have their books published--which I am NOT putting down: if you decide, as an author, that you wish to pay to have your book published that's your choice and I wish you luck. But, I wonder how many of these self-published authors realize that they are on a list claiming to support this group.

The Write Agenda savagely attacks anyone who criticizes them--I expect to land on their boycott list, maybe even get a page of my own on theirs like P.N. Elrod. Outrageously, they brag about hosting book burnings for targeted critic authors. BOOK BURNINGS?!? Are you guys for fucking real? Do you have any idea how that makes you look?

Hmm...I guess not...incidentally, those pictures are shopped--poorly. I doubt the guys holding those signs have any idea they've been used this way and, judging by the looks of them, wouldn't be too happy about it if they did. The Write Agenda's Facebook Page has fewer LIKES on Facebook than a Wikipedia page about White Power hate group Stormfront. Get a new publicist, guys. Aside from shopped death wishes, book burnings and boycotts and harassments, they post one-star reviews on critics books, while seemingly admitting that they haven't read them, only that they've been told by someone else that these writers must be punished. They do this anonymously, or in at least one case that I personally observed, by using the name of another author:

Write Agenda toadie posing as author Karen Blocker (sic) on WB blog


The REAL (and correctly spelled) Karen Blocher responds.


This is cult-like, almost criminal behavior.

In contrast, Writer Beware is open about the published authors who run the site. A couple of years ago on the Writer Beware message boards, I had a disagreement with several members there. I was wrong, and a little less than cordial about it. It isn't something I'd like to go into any deeper, but suffice to say that I admitted my error and apologized to the people involved. My reprisal for this transgression against them? Nothing. I wasn't added to any boycott lists, I didn't get any hate mail, no anonymous threats on my wall or anything. I will be sure to let everyone know if The Write Agenda handles things differently after posting this blog.

So yeah, I may be making some enemies with this. But as the man (Desmond Tutu) says, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." A little dramatic for this, I think...but still, the point is there: sometimes you have to pick a side. And I'm picking one. For the other side, if you think I can be intimidated or coerced into shutting up, I've just got one thing to say: come at me, bro!


For no reason, here is Teddy Roosevelt fighting a Sasquatch 

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Sean! I'm an avid follower of Writer Beware, and was disappointed in seeing The Write Agenda... they have an agenda, that's for sure. Good luck with getting on that boycott list - I'd consider it a badge of honor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Sean. I'm with you (and support Writer Beware) - The Write Agenda's agenda is typical for a schoolyard bully (or the governor of my home state of New Jersey). They like to point fingers and make unsubstantiated accusations but hide behind anonymous postings and vindictive threats.

    I'm always ready for a good fight....what's a little blood if it's spilled for a just cause?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Tweeted each other earlier; this is @jbrowncr.

    I have now read briefly through TWA's site (I don't want to give them the pleasure of picking up their name from my post to improve their SE rankings) and have to say I'm quite confused. The florid writing says virtually nothing. What it does say, it says badly. They're just trying to sound "edumacated," and come off sounding like chumps with a thesaurus that have watched a few too many seasons of Law and Order. It honestly reminds me of some of the "truther" conspiracy theory sites I've seen, where people are so drunk of their own feelings of "specialness" because they're "privileged" to "inside information," but the whole purpose is to mislead and proselyte, not to spread real truth. Anyone against them gets accused of treachery and working for the enemy, or being the enemy. Not nice at all.

    I have no time or patience to go back through the sites and discern the nature of the squabble between Crispin and Strauss and TWA, but I'll say this...comparing the sites, there's no comparison. TWA seems only set to promote its own negative and supremely arrogant agenda, not that of authors as a body. It's the antithesis of what "author support" is supposed to be. False reviews, trying to use manipulation and negativity to badger someone to change their mind...smacks of fascism and makes me vaguely sick at my stomach.

    Keep it up, Sean. I'll keep checking to see if your name ends up on their blacklist. It should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the FDR/Sasquatch picture is da shit. I want it for my wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jessie! And that's Teddy, not Frankie fighting the Sasquatch. And it IS my wallpaper :-)

    ReplyDelete

Praise Tiamat